Sunday, January 17, 2010

3 Tips to Wearing Dark Nail Polish Colors

Dark Nail Polish on Celebrities

This trend has been popular for a while now. You've seen many celebrities sport dark nail polish such as Lauren Conrad, Kim Kardashian, Jessica Simpson and Vanessa Hudgens. However, I can never get dark nail polish, specifically BLACK polish, to look right on my fingers. So I did some research and have come up with some tips to help you pull of this look.

1. The biggest tip I have is that dark polish looks much better on SHORT, SQUARE shaped nails. Oval nails are going to make you look a little goth or a little like the wicked witch.

2. Try a different shade of black or dark, especially if you have dark skin. OPI has come out with a great collections of purpley black and reddish black colors.
OPI Dark Nail Polish Fall 2009

(From left to right: Lincoln Park at Midnight, Midnight in Moscow, and Black Cherry Chutney.)

3. Go for quality. OPI is price-y but it is by far my favorite brand, especially with dark colors. I tried Sally Hansen's black polish, but it was a water-y black color -- not solid black the way I wanted; I needed to put a second coat on it which I do not like to do. I think quality is definitely important. It does not have to be OPI as there are other great brands out there too.



Anyways, dark nail polishes are a big hit. Light colors WILL be coming back this Spring, but darks are not going away anytime soon.

What are YOUR favorite nail polish colors and nail polish brands?

No comments:

Post a Comment